What You’ll Learn:
In this guide to hiring a roofing contractor, we’ll discuss:
● What to look for when hiring a roofer
● Must-have qualifications for a professional roofer
● Important questions to ask roofing contractors before hiring them for your project
For most homeowners, little thought is given to how well their existing roof serves its purpose - that is until it’s time for roof repairs or replacement. A roof is an integral component of the structure of your house, functioning as the first line of defense against the elements. Professional installation and high-quality roofing materials are key, and your roof is only as trustworthy as the contractor that installs it.
This is why choosing a roofing contractor is one of the most important decisions you can make when it comes to homeimprovement projects. But how do you know if a roofer is good, and what questions should you ask to make sure you’re hiring the right contractor?
Luckily, you don’t have to be an expert to pick a solid contractor for your roofing job. In fact, you just need to know what questions to ask and which qualifications are a must. We’ve put together a useful guide to selecting contractors for repairing or installing a new roof, giving you everything you need to make a confident and informed decision.
How Do You Pick a Good Roofing Contractor?
Choosing the right roofing company is a process, one that will take a bit of time and some effort - but it’s absolutely worth it.
Here’s a simple step-by-step guide to researching, interviewing, and selecting the right roofer for your project:
- Do your research. Spend some time learning about the various products and techniques so that you can have a better idea of the options available to you. Consider both form and function as you begin to think about your ideal project outcome. For example, is there a certain “look” you’re hoping to achieve? What is your budget? Establishing these key parameters can help you make your search as efficient as possible.
- Get multiple estimates and interview several contractors. Rather than make a hasty decision by hiring the first contractor you speak with, do your homework and get several different quotes. It can be tempting to try to speed up the process by picking the first company you speak with, but that could be an expensive move you regret later. Ask about each contractor’s fees, qualifications, and services (more on that below), and inquire whether they can provide examples of their work.
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions along the way. Once you’ve made your final choice and work on your roof has begun, that doesn’t mean that you’re “stuck.” A good roofer will be more than happy to answer your questions throughout the process, and the line of communication should remain open. If, at any point, you feel uncertain about any aspect of the work, you should feel comfortable speaking up.
Key Qualifications for Your Next Roofing Contractor
While it’s true that certain aspects of choosing a good contractor will depend on your preferences and the project at hand, there are a handful of non-negotiables to keep in mind. It’s not just a house; it’s your family home - you want to be sure that you’re entrusting it to capable hands.
Before you finalize your decision, confirm that the constructor you’re considering can provide details about:
● Licensing: Depending on where you’re located, there may not be any licensure requirements for roofing contractors.Regardless, you are far better off selecting a licensed contractor. Ask for their tax identification number, business website or email address, business address, and a contact phone number as well.
● Proper insurance: As you might imagine, roofing can be a high-risk job - there are many potential injuries that can occur on the job site. Your contractor should provide both worker’s compensation and liability insurance; otherwise, you (and your home) will be at risk. Worker’s compensation insurance is designed to provide coverage for any injuries that may occur (for the contractor and/or their team), while general liability insurance will protect your home in the event of damage during the project.
● A written contract: Never trust a contractor that tells you that a contract isn’t necessary. Having something in writing is paramount for the protection of the homeowner and gives you grounds for legal action should the contractor not fulfill their obligations. A written contract should outline the schedule of payments, total cost, list of subcontractors, and the brand, type, and color of the roofing materials that will be used. A start and end date for the project is also important, as are details about cleanup, protection for landscaping, and who is liable for damages to your property or neighboring homes.
What Should I Ask a Roofing Contractor?
So, how do you interview a contractor for a roofing project? Here are some of the questions we recommend asking before you have your roof replaced or repaired:
● What permits will be needed? In the majority of cities/states, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to make sure that the proper permits have been secured for a home improvement job. A contractor with a solid reputation will never recommend skipping permits.
● Can you provide examples of your work? Whether you’re getting new shingles or completely replacing an old roof, being able to see completed projects from a potential contractor is key. Often, you can find past work examples on a contractor’s website, but if not, you can ask for some.
● Can you provide references? Reviewing sites and website testimonials can be helpful, but they don’t quite measure up to being able to speak to fellow homeowners who have worked with the contractor.Contractors often have a list of references that potential clients can contact for details about their work quality.
● What roofing materials do you work with? Pay attention to the brands and materials that a company uses for its projects, as that information can tell you a lot about their work. In many cases, manufacturers will provide specific product training to ensure correct installation, so ask about that as well.
● What happens if I am not satisfied with the completed results? Even if you choose an excellent business, unexpected issues can arise.As the homeowner, you need to know what will happen if things don’t go as planned.
Kline Home Exteriors: Ohio Roofing Professionals You Can Trust
When you’re considering roofing companies in Dundee for roof replacement or repair, selecting the right contractor can be an intimidating decision to make. At Kline Home Exteriors, we understand that homeowners are juggling multiple priorities when searching for a good roofingcontractor: budget, quality of materials, aesthetics, workmanship, timely installation, and more. And with our extensive experience and skilled team, as well as our dedication to exemplary customer service, we’re confident that we are the right company for the job.
For more than 25 years, Kline Home Exteriors has served the Dundee community by providing outstanding exterior renovation services and solutions. Our expert roofing team is prepared to guide you through the process of repair or replacement, delivering exceptional-quality work in a timely manner. Whether you’re facing significant repairs after a big storm or are interested in boosting resale value with new shingle roofing,Kline Home Exteriors can help.
For more information about our Dundee roofingcompany, contact our team for a free quote today!